• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Hyperthyroidism??

ThaiDie4

Bluelighter
My roommate planted the idea in my head that I might have hyperthyroidism. I tend to be a bit of a hypochondriac, so I want some feedback before I jump to conclusions. Sorry if this is a bit long, just wanted to include everything. The past 4 weeks or so, my body rhythm has been really off and I'm not sure what's going on...

For one thing, I've experienced a significant increase in appetite, for no apparent reason. I'd say I've been eating at least 1.5x-2x the amount of food that I'd normally have in a day. Despite the fact that I easily consume more than the recommended amount of calories for my height\body type, I still feel hungry all the time. And what's weird is that somehow I've LOST 7lb. in the past 2 weeks... which I don't understand at all, considering I've been eating like a pig, and I haven't been exercising.

Along with this, (sorry if this is kind of gross :/) I've also been going #2 a lot more. Like 4-5x a day... not fun. It just hits me out of nowhere sometimes, and it's not like diarrhea but just really loose stools.

I've also been having a lot of trouble sleeping the past few weeks. It's been taking me hours to fall asleep, even when I'm really tired. Then once I finally do fall asleep, I stay asleep for an excessive amount of time. Lately I've been sleeping for 12-15 hours a night\day, so I end up spending more time asleep than awake :\ If I set an alarm clock or something to wake up earlier, I just end up feeling like I need a nap later in the day.

What has worried me the most is the fact that I haven't gotten my period yet. I was supposed to get it 9 days ago. It is not totally unheard of for me to miss a period, but it's unusual. With an increase in appetite and sleep, and a missed period, I immediately assumed I was pregnant. But I took 2 pregnancy tests yesterday morning and they were both negative. I even took one of them immediately after I woke up (supposedly the Hg C levels in your pee are highest when you first wake up?) and there was not so much as a faint possibility of a positive.

So I was talking to my roommate about all of this, and she said that I have a lot of the symptoms of hyperthyroidism. I had never heard of it before, but we looked up some stuff online about it and it sounds like it could be a possibility. I don't know how else to explain what's been going on with me :\

I know the obvious advice would be to go to a doctor, but 1) I don't currently have a primary care physician and 2) I hate getting blood taken, so I don't want to go through all the trouble if there is a less serious explanation as to why I'm feeling like this.

Any input would be very, very helpful. Thank you :)

Yeah hun, the only way you'll know anything for sure is if you go to the doctor and get your blood tested.

Let us know how it goes :)

Only way to know is to get your blood tested.

I've been putting this off myself for way too long, I don't even know my blood type.

For me I have to get checked because my Dad has under active thyroid as does my Mum & my sister.

That's slightly different than your possible case being that the thyroid is working less than as opposed to more than it should be.

For all three of the above mentioned they have to thyroxine tablets each day to keep levels up.

In your case it would be the same, instead you would be on an inhibitor instead. :)

Get checked when you can and it will put your mind to rest, especially if you are prone to being a hypochondriac.

A hypochondriac without a doctor is not committing to the disorder ;)
Girl, get your beautiful shit together. If you are concerned about your health or don't feel right, take care of yourself.

All the signs and symptoms you described above, happen to me when I am under stress.
Sometimes I am not aware that something is bothering me or that I am overwhelmed. THAT is when the physical manifestations start.

actually it is incorrect that the only way to know is with bloodwork. Taking your resting temperature after a few hours of sleep can determine thyroid function. If it is elevated then your thyroid is kicking out a bunch of T3.

^^ Surely that's not the ONLY cause of an elevated resting body temp though??